Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Weighing In

Lately I've been feeling a lot like this:


I think I may be suffering from binge eating disorder.

Signs of binge eating disorder:
  • Periodically does not exercise control over consumption of food (check)
  • Eats an unusually large amount of food at one time (on average, 1500 calories) (check)
  • Eats much more quickly during binge episodes than during normal eating episodes (check)
  • Eats until physically uncomfortable (check)
  • Eats large amounts of food, even when they are not really hungry (check)
  • Always eats alone during binge eating episodes, in order to avoid discovery of the disorder (Hmm...I think I do. So check.)
  • Feels disgusted, depressed, or guilty after binge eating (check)
Yep, I definitely have binge eating disorder. Sigh.

I know most of you are probably thinking I must be crazy cause I don't e
xactly LOOK obese. But it is said that people of normal weight can suffer from the disorder as well. So there...I am not crazy. And in any case, I ain't of normal weight. I'm actually OVER weight...for my height.

Apparently the causes of binge eating disorder are still unknown although half of all people who suffer from the disorder have a history of depression. (Okay...I don't believe I've suffered
from depression......yet.)

Complications of binge eating disorder:

The major complications of binge eating disorder are the diseases that accompany obesity. These include diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol levels, gallbladder disease, heart disease, and certain types of cancer.

Other complications might also include:

sex difficulties

Fuck. Someone kill me, PLEASE, if I ever end up like that ^.

Treatment:

Several studies have found that people with binge eating disorder may find it harder than other people to stay in weight loss treatment. Binge eaters also may be more likely to regain weight quickly. For these reasons, people with the disorder may require treatment that focuses on their binge eating before they try to lose weight.
Even those who are not overweight are frequently distressed by their binge eating and may benefit from treatment.

Several methods are being used to treat binge eating disorder. Cognitive-behavioural therapy (Hah...I actually learnt this in Psychology back in SAM. And it was a whole lot of bullshit.) teaches patients techniques to monitor and change their eating habits as well as to change the way they respond to difficult situations. Interpersonal psychotherapy helps people examine their relationships with friends and family and to make changes in problem areas. Treatment with medications such as antidepressants may be helpful for some individuals. Self-help groups also may be a source of support. Researchers are still trying to determine which method or combination of methods is the most effective in controlling binge eating disorder. The type of treatment that is best for an individual is a matter for discussion between the patient and his or her health care provider. (Yea yea...whatever. Like I can afford treatment. Oh well, looks like I'm going to need a reasonably large coffin when I die.)

On a side note, I haven't been weighing myself cause I know I will get an early undue heart attack from seeing the number of my weight. And I'm not about to take any risks with my health (sense the irony?). Anyway, for those who are sick and tired of getting on a scale and seeing a number they don't like, invest in the celebrity weighing scale.

Say bye-bye numbers and hello Baby Jesus? Wtf.

Basically, the celebrity weighing scale doesn't show how much you weigh, but instead shows you who you weigh like. How cool is that?!

Ah...such innovation from minds of geniuses. Swt.

p/s: The celebrity I weigh like: Victoria Beckham.

Which celebrity do YOU weigh like?

No comments: