Sunday, September 21, 2008

When Working Becomes A Moral Quagmire

I was forwarded an email from my mum. Attached with it was a blog post written back in August 2006 by Singapore's youngest millionaire, Adam Khoo. (A small biography on Adam Khoo: He is an entrepreneur, a best-selling author and a peak performance trainer. A self-made millionaire by the age of 26, he owns and runs several businesses in education, training, event management and advertising, all with a combined annual turnover of $30 million. (Source: Adam Khoo's Philosophies and Investing Insights)

Not to divert, in that post, he fundamentally talks about the truth about self-made millionaires (excludes "lucky bastards who inherited money") and how he became one. He also mentions that material happiness never lasts and only provides nothing more than a quick fix. It was however the sentence below that caught my eye.

(Click on the picture for a larger view.)
Photo Source: The Great American Photo Blog

In short, I couldn't agree more. Many of us, me included, get caught up in the idea of choosing a path that might put us somewhere on the map but may not necessarily get us anywhere. And it is unfortunate that we live in a superficial world where money talks and everything else walks. But I will not be 'bought'. Despite my being on the way to completing a business degree majoring in accounting, a subject of which I have absolutely no interest in whatsoever, I know for a fact (and this I am sure of) that I would not be sitting in an office cubicle, auditing taxes and balancing accounts. I say this with a tinge of regret, that although it is too late to change course at this point, it isn't too late to change my career path. So as and when that time arises for me to decide on my career, I will be wiser to choose one that is in line with my passion and my heart's desire. After all, to quote Abraham Lincoln, "it's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years".

Xoxo,
J.

No comments: