Friday, December 26, 2008

Tough Cheese

I had, by far, the worst of luck last Friday.

I drove to One Utama after uni to buy Ip Man (pronounced Yip Mun) movie tickets for the next day cause mummy dearest wants to watch it so badly. And well, I, who don't watch Chinese movies for the reason that I don't understand Cantonese, am obliged to accompany her...just cause.

It was mid-afternoon when I left uni, hence, to avoid the jam I took an alternative route and reached OU in possibly the shortest time. I felt smug. But that feeling didn't last very long. Having parked my car, I fumbled through my bag in search for my wallet to keep the parking ticket, only to realise, to my utmost horror, that I didn't have my wallet with me. So not only had I driven to uni and then all the way to OU without my license, I had just parked my car in a shopping mall with no money to pay for parking ticket. Geezus.

Few thoughts came to mind. I could
  1. call someone

    My mum - Right...like she's going to leave her office, which is in Glenmarie, and drive all the way to OU to bail me out of a shopping mall. I don't think so.

    A friend - The ones I could think of were either at work or scattered all over the place. Heh.

    My maid - "Kak...saya di OU sekarang dan takda wang untuk bayar parking kerana saya terlupa bawa dompet la. Tolong. Please." And what could she do? Take a cab and bring my wallet to me? Pfft. (Hey...actually this didn't seem like such a bad idea. Dammit. Why didn't I think of it then?!)

  2. withdraw money

    Genius! Why didn't I think of withdrawing money earlier??

    It took me a few seconds to realise that my ATM card is in my wallet and my wallet is not with me. Idiot.

  3. beg
I guess the latter seemed like the only thing to do.

I checked myself in the rear view mirror. I looked so frazzled. I wasn't even sure if I could even get a dollar even if I went down on my knees and pleaded. Nonetheless, I had to try. I ran my fingers through my hair, fixed myself, and into the mall I was, to beg for RM1. Swt.

Are you mad?? Of course I did no such thing. Beg for a dollar. Pfft. I have more dignity than that.

I was lucky to have coins in my car. RM1.70 worth of bloody coins. RM1 went into paying parking and the balance of RM0.70 can be used to bribe the police should I get pulled over.

I reached home, grabbed my wallet and headed back to OU for the second time. My mood was further agitated by the difficulty of finding a parking space. I finally decided to park illegally next to a wall. I ran up to the cinema level and finally bought the best seats in the house for Ip Man after all the afternoon's hassle.

I started to feel light headed for having not had lunch yet. And seeing it was the 19th, I decided to get a 1901 hot dog as every 19th of the month is Lucky 19th time where selected hot dogs are sold at only RM1.99! But as my luck had it that day, the store in OU had closed down. *mother toot*

I left OU feeling very disgruntled and my stomach, unfed. Thus, I stopped by Ming Tien to 'ta pau' lunch home. While I waited for my food, my mum called.
Mum: Where are you now?
Me: Buying lunch. Oh...I've bought the tickets already.
Mum: What time?
Me: The first show. 12pm.
Mum: 12pm?? I can't make it at that time. I've my all-girls lunch.
Me: What??
Mum: Why didn't you check with me first?
Me: How am I supposed to know?! You said you wanted to watch the movie!
Mum: Do you think you can change the tickets?
Me: I highly doubt it.
Mum: Then pass me the tickets. I'll go to OU myself in the evening and see if I can get it changed.
Me: Never mind. I'll do it.
I was rattled at the end of the conversation. I collected my food, walked back to my car, started my engine, and then I saw it, from the corner of my eye, a piece of paper clipped under my wipers, flapping in the wind. A bloody fine! I half-stomped out of my car, snatched the bloody piece of paper off my windscreen, scrunched it up and threw it away. By now, I was just flipping mad and was boiling from within. I could have sworn the car I had parked opposite of didn't have a parking ticket either and it was parked there before me and instead, only I got fined! The MBPJ officer was either sexist or racist...or both! UGH.

I sped home, chowed down my food, took a time out, *breathed*, and in less than an hour, found myself in OU...again...finding for a parking space for the third time that day. Geezus.

Earlier efforts to calm my nerves failed miserably as I started to feel flustered from the crowd. Oh god...I hate shopping crowds. HATE. Absolutely loathe them. Despise them. Anyhoo, I made my way to the GSC ticket counter and asked if I could get my tickets changed. And as expected, the answer was no. The person attending to me however said he could help sell my tickets for me, but only on the next day. So he told me to come back the next day (i.e. Saturday) around 12.30pm to collect my money from him.

And well......

I never did.

No comments: