Saturday, July 25, 2009

Respect My Right

I am a private person.

I am not the type who washes my dirty laundry in public. I am not the type who hangs my undergarment on the balcony for the wandering eyes of passing drivers. (Not that I live in an apartment that faces the highway.) I am just not the type who discusses family matters to anyone or anywhere as I feel family matters are private matters. Although when asked, I would share. Nonetheless, not a topic I would use to start a conversation. But anyway, that's beside the point. The point is, I am a private person.

And most of the time, I do not probe into other people's life. What "people" choose to share with me, I accept and respect. When they choose to share their joy with me, I'd be thankful. When they choose to share their tears with me, I'd be honoured. When they choose to share their laughter with me, I'd be gleeful. When they choose to share their food with me, I'd be ecstatic! Okay, let's not deviate from the main topic.

The crux of the matter is (not sure where I'm going with this, but just stay with me), I am a private person and I want my privacy to be respected.

Speaking of respect, it's hard to get one from anybody these days. "People" hardly value other people's opinion. Everyone wants to make a point. Everyone wants to be heard. Everyone wants to be RIGHT. And of course, I don't exclude myself. I believe, everyone LIKES to be RIGHT. But when you're wrong, you're just...wrong.

There lies a difference between making a point with conviction and making a point with condemnation. Confidence versus arrogance. The line is fine, but it exists, and hence, should not be crossed. With that said, we are human and hardly any of us have self-actualised to be that selfless. We are all too consumed by our own needs and too self-absorbed to care for others. The fact is, WE are too egocentric to agree to disagree.

So I ask, how can the world ever be a better place?

No comments: