Sunday, October 05, 2008

Snatched

I've read countless reports of snatch thefts in the newspapers. Heard numerous stories of them. Seen my neighbours (note the plural) get robbed. The last thing you would expect is for it to happen to you...or in my case, my mum. But that's probably the one thing all snatch theft victims share in common prior to getting robbed, they'd always think it would never happen to them...until it does.

At about 12:30pm today, my mum's handbag was snatched as she was walking into the house. Two malays/indonesians (which, she was unsure) on a motorbike sped towards my mum and grabbed her handbag, dragging her along the road as my mum stubbornly refused to let go. Thankfully, she escaped with only a few minor cuts and bruises but her handbag was gone. Scarily enough, she saw it coming. When she stepped out of the car, she saw the motorbike from afar and instinctively knew what would unfold. However, petrified and unsure of what to do, her first thought was to dash into the house. Unfortunately, everything happened in a blink of an eye and it was all too late. It's a sad ordeal for my mum but I know she'll get past it.

I hope no one would ever have to encounter such an experience but it is never by choice, the cards we are dealt. So to everyone (especially the ladies), always be aware and be safe.

No comments: